State Farm Insurance - Accident Claim

60 of 717 State Farm Insurance reviews

I was recently the victim of a Hit and Run by a driver that is insured by State Farm.The driver was arrested for DUI as well as other pending charges.

After, what seems like doing everything for State Farm, including obtaining a copy of the Police report for them, they still will not claim liability for the damage to my car. When I call, they state they have not heard from their insured, and while many attempts and letters have been sent, they still insist on waiting to hear from them. The police report clearly states that this person was arrested, as well as was charged with hit and run. Meanwhile, I am still driving around in a damaged car.

The accident happened nearly 3 weeks ago. The report clearly states that this person tired to pass me while driving in the middle of the road and then proceed to turn right into my vehicle, thereby hitting my car and causing left front fender damage to my vehicle. I clearly would just like my car fixed, I have already received a quote for repair by an authorized State Farm Body Shop. Of course, I won't receive anything for the deprecation value this accident has not caused to my vehicle.

State Farm hasn't even had estimator call us. If I file with my insurance company, there is no guarantee that my rates won't go up, even though I'm not a fault.

If you would like, I can also send you the pictures of the open liquor and pictures of the officers giving your insured the sobriety test.But clearly, anyone who can Google can look up what an 11-501 arrest is for, which is clearly stated on the accident report.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

More Review Details

Reason of review:
Poor customer service
Preferred solution:
Deliver product or service ordered
Product or service
Review category
Insurance
review #881890

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with State Farm Insurance? Submit review ›
Helpful? 0 Yes 0 0 No 0
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
60 of 717 State Farm Insurance reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Jul 15 #1185339 Oakland, California, United States

If it was a dui, they might not get in touch with their insured for months, if ever. After all, the guy could go to jail, and I don't see State Farm as a proactive enough company to chase down a guy in jail, just for a statement. And his instance company isn't going to be in any hurry to pay out money. My advice is like the others - get in touch with your insurance company. It's unlikely that calling them will have any effect on your rates.
Btw, I'm surprised they're behaving like that, because I've been in a few accidents similar to yours (the other party was at fault and was under the influence of something - they actually went to jail in both cases). I dealt with the other party's insurance company in both cases, and both times, the insurance company couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. Maybe you just got stuck with a bad claims agent. You could always try going around them, if possible (either get their supervisor, or find a general customer service number and ask them who you can talk to if you're not happy with your claims agent).
My opinion - you've been way too patient and too accommodating already - they should have been paying for a rental car for you, and every day they put you off, they're saving themselves the cost of the rental. Good luck! I hope you get it all sorted out!

0 0 Reply

Jul 14 #1185193 Torrington, Connecticut, United States

Try going through your own insurnance company. They subrogation claims, and if it clearly wasn't your fault, they understand and won't increase your rate. In the mean time, they can cover your rental car costs if needed or have your car repaired with the assumption that they will get money back from the other insurance company. Also, they will fight for you, on your behalf, saving you time and possibly money. If this doesn't work, you can always call your states insurance commissioner or attorney general and file a complaint.

1 0 Reply

Jul 13 #1184742

Insurance companies do not automatically accept liability without full investigation. While it may be clear cut what happened at the scene, how and if coverage applies is a completely different matter.
Police reports are only one piece of the puzzle. They provide information from the scene and that info is taken into consideration.
There are multiple factors that determine the acceptance of liability. Did the owner of the policy have this driver listed? Did the owner of the policy give this driver permission to drive? Was the driver a member of the primary insured's household? Was the driver borrowing the vehicle? If so, for how long and for what purpose? Was the vehicle being used in the course of business? These questions are only the tip of the iceberg. Was the policy in force? Was the last payment late and close to the cancellation date? So many questions. That's why it is considered an investigation.
When the full investigation is completed, you will receive their acknowledgement and the results of their findings. This is the case of every insurance company, including yours. When you contract with an insurance company, you have hired them to defend you and make decisions on your behalf. They are providing defense for their insured, exactly how yours would do for you.
At this point, it's clear you're the claimant, not their insured, therefore, they do not work for you. Because you have chosen to use the insurance carrier that has their insured's best
... Show more

5 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to State Farm Insurance. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

×
You were reading a complaint about State Farm Insurance.
Filing a new complaint about
×