7.2K views

Let me begin by stating I have been with State Farm for over 25 years. I have every policy possible through State Farm, including Auto, Personal, Homeowners, Short and Long Term Disability, Personal Articles, and Life Insurance for myself, my wife, and all 4 of my children. I have referred my immediate and extended family members to State Farm. Many of my friends have also gotten insurance through State Farm from my referral. State Farm has made so much money off of my family, friends and the numerous referrals. During the last two years, I had to place three HOI claims and each claim was classified as CATOSTROPHIC due to natural disasters. The claims were as follows: May 14, 2010 Thunder Storm ( Hail Damage), August 28, 2011 Hurricane Irene (Flood Damage), and September 07, 2011 Tropical Storm Lee (Wind Damage. I've attached a link which describes the events that occurred where I live in Charles County, Maryland during those months mentioned.

http://www.thebaynet.com/news/index.cfm/fa/views September, I received a letter and a phone call from my Agent that I've known and have been with for over 25 years to inform me that my Home Owners Insurance (HOI) policy will not be renewed because I had made 3 claims in 3 years. It's shameful that they would not keep me on as a valued and loyal customer. It is shameful that State Farm would drop me after all the money I have paid them and all the referrals I have made to them and the money that have made off of them.

Let me be clear that at no time during the claim process did any State Farm representative or my Agent make me aware that my HOI was in jeopardy because I was filing claims. There is nothing in my contract that states that if I made claims that were caused by inclement weather that my policy could potentially not be renewed or my premiums would increase. I was always under the assumption that if I caused the damage and filed a claim then yes my premiums could potentially go up and or not be renewed; that pretty much goes without saying. I purchased my first home in 1995 and occupied until 2000 which was a town home in which State Farm held the HOI, my second home was a single family that I purchased in 2000 and am currently occupying now which State Farm holds the HOI. I also have investment properties that State Farm holds the HOI. With that said I have paid a great deal of money to State Farm over the years and referred a lot of business to them. Even though I expressed this to my State Farm Agent, he stated that Under Writing would not reverse their stance on this issue.

Can someone tell me who above my Agent and the Under Writer that I can complain and express my discontent with? Is there also an outside agency that could help with this Unfair Practice?

Review about: State Farm Insurance Claim.

Monetary Loss: $20000.

Had an Experience with State Farm Insurance?

Comments

Las Vegas, Nevada, United States #1031664

There's always cause to salvage and rehab risks especially if the clients overall book of business is profitable.The underwriting dept should have shortstopped your jeopardy (and theirs) long before lowering the boom by nonrenewing your HOI.

Normally, and in some states an official CAT loss claim cannot contribute as a cause for adverse underwriting action. Also, it appears that your property is in a CAT prone coastal area or very close to it. The industry at large will use loss frequency in order to depopulate it's concentration of risk in CAT prone coastal areas. If I had been your underwriter I would have conditionally renewed your policy with a receipt for storm shudders and a minimum of a $1,000 deductible on all perils.

That is, if your overall book of business with the company is profitable. In your case the company is left with the perception you aren't doing much to preserve your property and self insurance more of the risk you present. Bear in mind most homewoners do not live in CAT prone areas and should not be required to subsidize those who do in standard markets. As a matter of fact.

most homeowners never have a loss.Homeowner insurance in principle is designed for total rather than partial loss, which as an underwriter and actuary I tried to impress upon marketing departments my entire career.

the industry

Hudson, Florida, United States #997665

I live in Florida and have been a home owner for 30 years, with no prior claims.I inherited my grandparents home last year and immediately got State Farm Insurance on the home (classified as a vacation home), which it is.

In February, there was a free Catastrophy in the state and the furnace lines froze in eight spots, flooding and ruining the entire house of woods floors. I was told that a Catastrophy claim does not go against your claim history and State Farm was great in helping me thru the claims process for repairs. However, today I received a non-renewal letter due to "loss Claim". I am very confused as to why they would not renew me, since it was a catastrophe claim.

It was not my fault that the power was out for an extended amount of time, which cause not only my home but about another 150 state farm claims in the area.

Also, If I indeed need to find new insurance, and they ask me about my claim status, what do I say?Very confused and sad.

to Anonymous #997686

Anytime an insurance company pays money out, it will become part of your claim record.

The fact you turned in a loss within the first year of coverage statistically makes you a very high risk for future claims.That's why the risk was dropped.

As for applying for new coverage, you tell them the truth.

It will show up on your loss history anyway.Be prepared to pay higher rates.

Ok a lot of you have this really bad idea in your head that you pay x amount of premiums for x amount of policies.Just because they non renew auto or home.

You can still keep auto or home.. If you file 3 claims in a short span, like lets say THREE home claims (which is ridiculous), they probably paid about $75k in CLAIMS. You probably didn't have that money!!! And State Farm was there every year you paid your $2,000 a year.

(for ten years you only paid $20,000 in insurance), insurance is a business. If you put in $1 and expect to get $3 back I think you're better off in a casino. State Farm is good for real clients who aren't out there to file claims every year. Don't complain about your premiums being too high when the insurance company has already paid over double the premiums you've paid in your life time.

Insurance is about LIABILITY. If you're a risk, they don't want you!!! State Farm is the #1 in claims, I see NONE of you talking about State Farm ever rejecting a claim. Try another insurance company and every time you file a claim I bet they will deny the claim.

Also, State Farm doesn't care how long you have been with them, sure you've paid them a ton of money throughout the years, but the only reason an underwriter will non renew you is because you're just a risk and they are licensed professions out there to watch out for the company's benefit. You will NEVER speak to an underwriter. Agents will ALWAYS speak to you. Agents will...

The agent makes the change REQUEST and the underwriter always reviews it. I promise an underwriter does not call the agent. The agent calls you and you call the agent. That's the relationship, you're paying for top service in your agent so please do not expect the agency to give you a phone number because they simply do not exist for customers.

Agents are YOUR best friend, underwriters are the highly licensed people and unfortunately they have ALL the power.

Insurance is a numbers game.You're not supposed to win but that doesn't make them bad guys, it makes them human and logical.

to The Insurance Girl Arkansas, United States #956070

I don't know who u think u r woman .If we the people pay r ins and mindu tthat's what having ins is for.

For when disasters hit. We have no control over storms or fires. U probably don't have a pot to *** in or window throw it out of. If we pay and they drop us.

It should b law if no one will ins us. We shouldn't have to pay the ***. We work hard to pay yaulls high *** premiums and yaull throw us to wind. Sooner or later everyone has a claim.

And for u being so hateful and disrespectful, remember carma is a ***. One day you'll b in same situation.

Cause people who r like u always gets whats coming to them.Remember that!!!!!!!

to The Insurance Girl Hampton, Virginia, United States #1302188

Insurance is a Pyramid scheme...I pay, you pay, they pay, we all pay....THIS is what "backs" each one of us who pay....EACH OTHER!!!!

That is what insurance is.... a Coop of people having each others back.... well....

at least it used to be....now its just CORPORATE and GREEDY!!!!

I had State Farm homeowners and car for 23 years.We filed a dog *** liability claim 1.5 years back and received a non renewal forcing us into the state high risk pool.

To add insult to injury I received a bill today with no explanation for an adjustment to my auto premium which I assume was prorated discount due to home and auto coverage. My agent lied to the State Insurance regulators when I filed a complaint after the non renewal.

State Farm I a greedy organization with no interest in their customers.A class action suit is the only way to change their habits.

to Aggravated in NJ #869921

Dog *** liability claims only generate a non-renewal when you refuse to get rid of the liability (the dog).Why would any insurance company keep a proven risk on the books?

Every bit of premium you have ever paid could be lost in one dog *** case. As for your rate increase, yes, you lost your multi line discount.

You no longer qualify for it.Pretty simple.

to Info Kokomo, Indiana, United States #956182

Because mistakes happen, life happens and just because it does, i would not get rid of my animal either, and nobody should be able to force or even tell another person had to get rid of an animal, especially if they pey the premium each month for years

to hvjhgugchgb #1061634

First reread the previous reply ...slowly.

Give it some thought.

Second: Ever see a child mauled by a couple of pit bull terriers? (well life just happens...)Sometimes it's correct to tell people to get rid of their dog.

Third: No-one is telling you to get rid of your dog.

You do not have to insure with State Farm...this is America.You don't believe that State Farm should be forced to keep you on the books against their desires do you?...this is America!