I live in an area where hailstorms are a frequent event April through July. After our big storm in April, I had two adjustors from State Farm tell me that my roof was in excellent condition.

I found this interesting because all of my neighbors and people across the street were all getting new roofs because of the hail damage (none of which had State Farm). Being unsatisfied with the previous two adjustors, I called in a roofing company - they came out and showed me indepth pictures of all the hail damage to my roof. This particular roofing company sent in all the paperwork to State Farm. State Farm contacted me and this lady looked at my pictures and told me I had "mechanical" damage, not "hail" damage.

She proceeded to tell me that my roof was in bad shape, it was old, and State Farm would not approve a third adjustor to come out because the damage had nothing to do with hail. Interestly enough, her view of my roof was completely different from the first two State Farm adjustors who both said my roof was in excellent condition. I asked politely for a third adjustor and she said no. I was so upset that I mentioned I would look elsewhere for another insurance agency if they would not send another adjustor, and her respone to me was "Leave." I tried calling back to speak to someone who would listen to me, but no one would listen.

I've been with State Farm since I was eighteen years old, which is close to 30 years.

I have never been so disrespected.

I am looking elsewhere now and will be leaving State Farm for good. I find it interesting that not one person in my neighborhood had State Farm, now I know why.

Comments

Brandon, Florida, United States #694824

Not quite sure why you keep asking for another adjuster. They all work for the same company and are trained exactly the same way. They have one claim file on your roof. They only need one adjuster to look at the claim, gather the information, inspect the damage, take the pictures and make their determination. A second one just repeats what the first adjuster did. A third is just silly and a waste of the company's time. All adjusters have the same authority.

If you want to raise a ruckus, write a letter to the supervisor. They have more authority than an adjuster. If they still find the same conclusion, you can file a complaint with the department of insurance in your state. Here's the steps they'll take. First: they'll write a letter to the claims department. Second: The claims department will respond to the department of insurance with their findings and they're reason for the findings. Third: The department of insurance will notify you of their findings and conclusion.

In your complaint, comparing your damage to your neighbors damage will get you absolutely nowhere fast. Angles of hail, wind gusts and age of roof make all the difference. It is not unusual to have one home that escaped the hail and several homes around the lucky home have damage. Adjusters representing all companies fully understand that along with the department of insurance. As for the age of your roof, how old is it? If it's over 10 years old and you have single tab shingles, well, you're going to be out of luck. They're lifetime is considered 10 to 12 years. Anything over that is because you live in an area that doesn't produce a lot of wind, heavy snow, rain, searing heat or hail. You've already stated you live in an area with a high occurrence of hail. So, you should expect a shorter life span on your roof. That's a maintenance problem and an insurance company (no insurance company) will foot that bill.

As for the roofer's findings, well, I've never met a roofer that didn't want to replace a roof. I'm sure yours does need to be replaced. That doesn't mean the reason isn't age, poor installation and/or maintenance, or lack thereof.

Good luck finding another insurance company. You now have a claim on your record (regardless if paid or not) and you're in a high risk area. There's going to be a surcharge for that. When you do find another insurance company, be sure to carry a VERY high deductible and save your claims for catastrophes that could cause financial ruin. Insurance has changed in the last several years. It's harder to get and it's easily cancelled. Two claims within 5 years will cause a cancellation with most companies.

As for your neighbors not having State Farm. They're in a high risk area, according to you. They probably aren't eligible. State Farm insures more property than the second and third largest companies combined. Over 80 million policyholders. Basically, throughout the country, that's one in every 5 homes and 1 in every 3 cars.

to Homeowner Insurance Basics Chatsworth, Georgia, United States #823518

Wow, you must work for State Farm given that biased feedback. What's interesting is only half of what you're preaching is true and the other half seems pretty specific given all state insurance departments/commissions have different regulations.

I will actually agree with you that this insured party should file a complaint with their respective state insurance department at this point because having a third State Farm adjuster is wasting everyone's time. Your rationale for not having a third adjuster inspect the property is because they all work for the same company and are trained the same, therefore will all have the same conclusion, however you believe contacting a supervisor will gain ground? You do realize they, too work for State Farm?

Best advice for this situation is to escalate outside of State Farm.

You will get nowhere fast, otherwise. We just suffered a very severe, freak hailstorm where I work and thankfully we didn't have damage to our home, because I can only imagine what I'd be going through given State Farm is being an extreme nightmare just trying to fix my car correctly, considering the extent of the damage, my car only having 4000miles and carrying a $65k price tag. It's interesting you used the logic of wind gusts and all the variables of a hailstorm affecting a neighborhood leaving a sole untouched home in the middle...really? A hailstorm?

Not likely unless a good bit of distance is separating these neighbors. State Farm must think the same given two cars parked side-by-side.

Age of the roof? So you're saying that because someone has a 10yr roof versus someone who has a 2yr roof receives a different verdict when a claim is filed?

One would think with the depreciation of the value in this case, the policy premiums would respectively decrease. No? If the damage to the roof is deemed to be the result of the hailstorm, claim should be paid, no question. How many of us have heard the making you "whole as if this never happened"?

If you didn't have holes in your roof yesterday, a hailstorm today resulting in holes in your roof, how is outright denying the claim, much less saying the roof is fine, making one "whole", as in indemnification?

Shame this "neighbor" can't follow through with what their brand marketing preaches. I will also add, without a doubt, the people I work with who were affected by our hailstorm are already shopping for new insurance. Their totaled, or presumed totaled cars still waiting for an adjuster after two weeks in the parking lot, tarped and beaten, are speaking volumes right now to the hundreds working in just our building alone.

Especially when customers of other insurance companies have had their claims settled, check in hand and new cars purchased a week ago.

Stop being cheap State Farm. Your reputation is beginning to precede you and it's definitely not in a positive manner. You'll continue to disguise your tactics until one of your supporting insured parties needs to file a significant claim and then they, too will see the ugly light.

I would hope by now you've received resolution with your roof. I also hope you found a new carrier, because contrary to the snowballed belief above, there are better, dare I say more ethical, insurance companies out there.

to Save the State Farm biase #827776

I've been in the insurance business for over 25 years. I don't work for State Farm.

I have worked for several different carriers. You won't find a policy that states, "...whole as if this never happened". Policy language is followed to the letter and that is much too broad of a statement to be written into a policy contract. Coverage is stated as named peril and the conclusion of the damage is based on the specific results of the named peril.

Age and condition of the subject of loss is a huge factor in determining damage. An older roof could have easily been damaged due to broken tabs caused by wind, caused by poor installation of roof. This can also be true of a new roof. Broken tabs don't occur due to hail, if installed correctly.

As for one vehicle or home being left out of the damage, happens all the time. Wind damage, hail storms and the like can pass by a particular structure leaving it untouched. I've seen it with my own eyes.

As for the poster suggesting a supervisor be contacted, I agree.

The supervisor can over ride an adjuster. Even if they don't believe the damage is attributed to hail, they have the authority to make that call, whereas an adjuster does not.

Contrary to popular belief, premiums do not decrease as a property ages. They increase as far as homes are concerned because they become a higher risk if not properly maintained.

As for vehicles, the labor costs and liability do not decrease. Why would that portion of the premiums decrease?

You will see physical damage coverage of a vehicle decrease in cost, but not any of the other coverages.