I was hit by an uninsured driver, and State Farm has to pay my bills. They gave me a generic release for all my medical records, which I refused to sign.

I authorized the medical records from the date of the accident forward, but told them if they wanted the rest of my records, I wanted to know what they were looking for and how the information would be used. They refused to give me that information. Then they decided they wanted to turn my case over to a collection agency to get their money from the other driver. The release form was generic and just said they had a right to do this.

Since the form didn't tell me who was getting the information or how it would be used, I refused to sign it. I asked them to send to me a release that contained that information, and I would sign it. They have refused to give me that information. It's not that I am refusing their rights, but rather I am protecting my own.

Just because they have a right to my information doesn't mean that they will use it honestly and appropriately. The fairness has to go both ways.

Comments